POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 14:13:43
Message: <4afc5e67@news.povray.org>
> You *do* have the resource kit for your OS, right?

No. I've tried multiple times to obtain it, but apparently it can't be
done. (Or rather, not without coughing up large sums of money anyway...)

It always makes my heart sink when I find the tool I want, only to
discover that it's in the resource kit and hence not available to me.

>>> Damn, dude, you can even do it from Tcl.
>>> http://twapi.magicsplat.com/eventlog.html
>>> That took about 3 seconds on google.
>>
>> And how much do you want to bet it won't work with the standard Tcl
>> interpretter?
>
> Why wouldn't it? That's the whole point of Tcl stubs.

What's a Tcl stub?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3E972E9A-E08A-49A2-9D3A-C0519479E85A&displaylang=en

> 5 seconds.

I am staggered. I spent 5 years trying to get my hands on that. How on
earth did you manage it?!

>> a while back I discovered an M$ tool that allows you to run stuff as a
>> service, even though this is normally impossible.
>
> Yes, because there aren't any services on Windows. :-)

I meant that usually only programs specially written to be run as a
service can be run as a service. :-P

> And saying "it's impossible to back things up" and saying "I prefer a
> professional solution so I don't have to spend time building one" are
> two completely different things, you realize.

I believe what I actually said is that it's impossible to build a
reliable backup system out of DOS scripts. Of course, if you install
enough 3rd party tools maybe it is - hey, you could invoke BackupExec
from a DOS script and then claim to have implemented a reliable backup
solution as a DOS script. Right?

> If every request from your boss is answered with "That's impossible",
> I'm not surprised you're not earning a living wage.

I didn't say "it's impossible", I said "it's impossible with X".
Different thing.

(Also, my boss never, ever asks me things. He *tells* me things...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/