POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 14:06:31
Message: <4afc5cb7$1@news.povray.org>
>>> But consulting work does pay well; generally, it pays very well.
>>
>> Presumably because it's extremely high-stress work with no job security?
>
> But at least we *know* that we don’t have job security ;)

Heh, well, these days I think probably everybody knows there is no job
security...

> And it is not as stressful as knowing that people could die or be
> severely injured if you make a mistake.

True. I've always though being some kind of doctor must be the worst job
ever. Millions of people dead, their screams haunting your dreams. Every
waking second you walk the surface of the Earth, you know that you could
have saved them, if only you had tried harder. The look of hatred and
anger in their loved one's eys. The lawsuits and charges of incompetence
and negligence. The violence from enraged kin. It must be hell on Earth.

...or, maybe a fireman. Yeah, because that way, you have all of the
above, *and* there's a totally real possibility that _you_ will die
today as well. Or maybe just be horribly injured and maimed for life. If
you die, your body will probably never even be found. That must be great.

I guess compared to that, being screamed at for 8 hours by irate
customers isn't do bad.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/