POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 12 Nov 2009 13:00:06
Message: <4afc4d26$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen schrieb:
>
>> Yes... again I must be clouded by my experience and what goes on here.
>> Our one nuclear plant had all its experienced operators fired a few years
>> ago and replaced with "affirmative" people - so I wouldn't be so sure. In
>> the first world, you're hopefully right.
>
> Uh... /very/ bad idea...

You don't say. Fortunately I live about 1300km from these reactors. And
UPWIND!

The thing is, the Koeberg Nuclear Power Station is very "Chernobyl-ly" if I
can call it that. It (like all SA power stations) runs flat-out ALL THE TIME
- if it is shut down for any reason, we usually have nationwide power cuts
and "load-shedding" to prevent our national grid imploding. So there is
intense pressure NEVER to shut it down, for any reason, even for absolutely
critical maintenance that could have an enormous safety impact.

And it is -old-, built in the late 1960's.

And it has quite incompetent operators / controllers. (And maintainers -
they once dropped a -wrench- into a turbo-generator there - can you believe
such incompetence around a device costing 10s of millions of dollars and of
national strategic importance? We had load-shedding for two weeks after
that!)

And it has managers more interested in affirmative action than safety.

:)

One of the joys of living here, I guess! I've personally seen affirmative
action with concomitant incompetence kill -many- people while still in the
fire services - but this one could be a REAL score for our government's
policy of "empowerment and affirmative action at ANY cost" - including
having a nuclear accident if that is what is "required" to have people of
the right ethnic background in responsible positions. So be it!

Unfortunately my mother lives quite close to this potential radiological
horror, and whenever I visit there I find myself checking each morning if I
can hear birds singing... If I can't, its probably too late to get the hell
out of Dodge anyway.
--
Stefan Viljoen