POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 12:16:51
Message: <4afc4303$1@news.povray.org>
> Don't you have a "runas" command?

I'm guessing this wasn't available in Windows NT server when I wrote the
scripts. Nice to know this at least has been fixed.

> Suggestion: Google up the complete list of Windows command-line programs
> that come with your Windows.

I've done this, several times. In the process, I discovered several
useful things. (E.g., apparently there's a FOR command which can iterate
over files.) But I also discovered that most things you might want to
script cannot be scripted from DOS.

>>> Make a VSS snapshot. That's what it's for.
>> You can't do that from a DOS script.
>
> Bzzzt. I even offered you my scripts to do it.

Let me guess: pixie dust?

>> Well, it logs to a text file. But you have to remember to periodically
>> read that and make sure nothing bad happened. As far as I know,
>> logging to the event log is impossible.
>
> Yeah, because there's never anything in the event log, either, as it's
> impossible to log something to it.

No, just impossible from a mere DOS script. Of course, a compiled C
program can do it. (Let's face it, a compiled C program can do *anything*.)

> Damn, dude, you can even do it from Tcl.
> http://twapi.magicsplat.com/eventlog.html
> That took about 3 seconds on google.

And how much do you want to bet it won't work with the standard Tcl
interpretter?

> Create them from the command line:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315410

"Logevent.exe is included in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit."

In other words, I can't get it.

It's nice to know they've created an external utility that allows you to
do this though. You do occasionally find useful stuff like that. (E.g.,
a while back I discovered an M$ tool that allows you to run stuff as a
service, even though this is normally impossible. System Internals also
do some interesting stuff...)

> Dude, start googling. Each of these was the #1 hit on the obvious query
> parameters to google.

I could spend a few weeks surfing the net, finding all the utilities I
need to make the job work, checking that they're all from reputable
sources, working out their little quirks, getting them all to work
together...

...or I could install the BackupExec Remote Agent for Windows and be
done with it. Whilst I actually kinda enjoy the challenge of trying to
make scripts work, I feel happier that our vital production systems are
using a professional backup solution, rather than some probably-broken
thing I cobbled together myself.

Now, if I was doing this for my home PC, might be different... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/