POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2009 11:57:12
Message: <4afc3e68@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You mean this allows you to access that folder as the specified user
> using only UNC pathnames? (Not that all programs support these, mind
> you...)

Yes. You could do that anyway, but this logs you into that share with a
different name and password. Anything that takes UNC names will work with it
until it automatically times out all by itself after however long you have
your session idle timeout set. (15 minutes? 30 minutes? Something like that
by default.)

>> Or do it the "right" way, and have the backup run as a domain user
>> with permissions to log in to the appropriate shares. That's what
>> domains are for.
>
> Yeah. As I say, the trouble is I don't want my "delete the temp files"
> job to have full network access, only the backup job.

As I understand it, "backup operators" get read but not write permissions
(other than the archive bit, perhaps). I'm not even 100% sure you can use
the normal file system calls to get to the files rather than the "backup" calls.

So make a user specifically for your backup job, and don't run as that user
normally.

>>> As far as I know, this is impossible.
>>
>> Then have your job switch user IDs after it gets started, if you need to.
>
> As far as I know, this is impossible.

Of course it's possible. Why do you keep saying this? How do you get logged
in in the first place?

Why not just say "I don't know how to do this"? Then at least it might occur
to you to say "Gee, maybe google does."

Don't you have a "runas" command?

Suggestion: Google up the complete list of Windows command-line programs
that come with your Windows. Or look at all the .exe and .com files in
\windows and \windows\system32.

> Being in the backup users group only gives you permission to use the
> backup API. Standard copy programs don't use this API, they use the
> standard file access API.

Fair enough. Get a domain user with read permissions, then.

>>> or files being locked.
>> Make a VSS snapshot. That's what it's for.
> You can't do that from a DOS script.

Bzzzt. I even offered you my scripts to do it.

>> How do you think "real" backup programs get around it?
> By being able to access any Win32 system call they wish?

Perhaps.

> Well, it logs to a text file. But you have to remember to periodically
> read that and make sure nothing bad happened. As far as I know, logging
> to the event log is impossible.

Yeah, because there's never anything in the event log, either, as it's
impossible to log something to it.

Damn, dude, you can even do it from Tcl.
http://twapi.magicsplat.com/eventlog.html
That took about 3 seconds on google.

How to read events from the command line, and how to run programs
when particular events get logged:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757231(WS.10).aspx

Create them from the command line:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315410

Dude, start googling. Each of these was the #1 hit on the obvious query
parameters to google.

 > Or "using Google to find the lyrics to that song I heard one time", as I
 > prefer to call it. ;-)

I give up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)