POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : go! : Re: go! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: go!
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2009 11:40:33
Message: <4afc3a81$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I must admit, I'm not sure what this even means. Might be interesting
> though.

CSP. A bunch of actors running around exchanging messages asynchronously,
each process being a single thread in its own address space. Like Erlang or
any of the other dozens of languages designed for real-time distributed
processing.

That the channel itself is a first class object makes for the ability to do
cool stuff like passing the channel to a new version of the program running
on a different computer, so you don't lose any outstanding messages.
Assuming they really mean "first class" there.

> Lots of languages have light-weight threads, no?

Many have lightweight threads that also occupy multiple processors. I.e.,
most languages where you can launch 10,000 threads launch them in one
process and fake it 100%.

But yes, the availability of lightweight objects and first-class channels is
a good combination. Either one alone is difficult.

I'll have to see what kind of introspection they support and what kind of
dynamic loading.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)