POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Nov 2009 07:14:48
Message: <4afbfc38$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
  > As I have recently developed a habit of keeping my computer on and
> connected to the internet virtually all the time, and not running
> renders on my QuadCore /all/ of the time, it might well be worth giving
> the cores something to do while I'm just hacking up code, reading
> newsgroups, or the like. But it's not like I've been in desperate search
> for a way to keep my computer busy or contribute more to humanity: It
> was just a spontaneous research inspired by your earlier posting,
> somewhere between hacking in a shell script and waiting for it to spew
> out results.

If you decide to participate and since you have 4 cores, you don't need
even pause it, the default profile takes only 60% CPU time (you can
change that editing the profile or creating another) from each core and
each of the four WUs(Work Units) run on third plane (lowest CPU
priority), so anything you do, even rendering, is ran first and foremost.

> With that information you now provided, obviously my initial assessment
> is proven wrong, so I'll definitely have a more in-depth look at it.

Glad to read that and you'll not regret the site is as legit as it can
get, has plenty of info a nice Forum community, statistics, the WCG
client gives total control and offer lots of details or just a simple view.

> You know, I'm rather skeptic when people are all the rage about
> something they're convinced of. I've had my fair share of that myself to
>  know how one can be grossly mistaken with it.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I have been there many times, that's why now
I make sure what I get into isn't a hoax. The Internet is a good place
to be scammed.

> If you insist on calling that paranoia, then fine, have your way. But
> note that answering questions better promotes the project than calling
> someone paranoid just because they doubtfully raise those questions.

Your questions and doubts are fine, I had them myself, what made them
look paranoid was asking them here without checking the website first,
like you were scared of even go there, hence my confusion, I apologize
for it.