POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 07:01:00
Message: <4afbf8fc$1@news.povray.org>
>> I visited the bank a while back (i.e., before the entire financial
>> sector went into meltdown), and the guy there seemed to think that I
>> could maybe afford a £90,000 morgage. Assuming I don't eat or use any
>> heating. (In other words, on paper it would work, but it would be
>> absurdly tight.)
>
> Hmm, banks don't usually allow you to borrow that much that would make
> life that hard.  Usually it's capped to about 4x your annual salary to
> avoid exactly that problem.

Which, presumably, is why I left the room without a morgage. The guy did
a few calculations with a pocket calculator and suggested that it
probably wasn't worth the bother of running the numbers through the
computer.

>> ...so 70% of my income then?
>
> Yep, that's what happens if you want to get on the property ladder when
> you're not earning much as a single person.  That 300 you have left over
> basically then has to cover your utility bills and food.  Running a car?
> Forget it.

My job kind of requires a car, so...

>> Well, currently my bank balance is going down rather than up, because
>> most months I spent a few hundred more than I actually earn. Saving up
>> sounds pretty hard to me.
>
> How the hell do you manage to spend over 1000 pounds per month if you
> are living with your mum?

If I could answer that, I'd be a very rich man.

...or, at least, a slightly richer man, anyway.

> Even if you rented somewhere small by yourself and had to run a car you
> should be able to save some per month.  If you *really* want to save up
> for a house you need to sacrifice some stuff.

...or get a job that pays actual money?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/