POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2009 06:35:38
Message: <4afbf30a@news.povray.org>
> I visited the bank a while back (i.e., before the entire financial sector
> went into meltdown), and the guy there seemed to think that I could maybe
> afford a £90,000 morgage. Assuming I don't eat or use any heating. (In
> other words, on paper it would work, but it would be absurdly tight.)

Hmm, banks don't usually allow you to borrow that much that would make life
that hard.  Usually it's capped to about 4x your annual salary to avoid
exactly that problem.

> ...so 70% of my income then?

Yep, that's what happens if you want to get on the property ladder when
you're not earning much as a single person.  That 300 you have left over
basically then has to cover your utility bills and food.  Running a car?
Forget it.

> Well, currently my bank balance is going down rather than up, because most
> months I spent a few hundred more than I actually earn. Saving up sounds
> pretty hard to me.

How the hell do you manage to spend over 1000 pounds per month if you are
living with your mum?

Even if you rented somewhere small by yourself and had to run a car you
should be able to save some per month.  If you *really* want to save up for
a house you need to sacrifice some stuff.