POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 06:33:42
Message: <4afbf296@news.povray.org>
>>> You didn't haggle with them?
>>
>> Why? It's not like they're going to change their mind.
>
> Yes they will, it's up for discussion, in fact I think in the letter
> they send it even says how to proceed if you want to dispute the amount.

Obviously I no longer have the letter any more, but it basically said
"as per our contract, we owe you £25, here's your cheque".

>> How many cars have you seen on sale for £75 recently?
>
> Exactly, so you just accepted it?

We're talking about an insurance company. It's not as if they're
reasonable people. I'm just some nobody teenager who can't afford to do
anything about it.

> After you've
> sent them examples of similar cars with similar age and mileage and
> exerts from Parkers, they usually pretty much match the going rate to
> replace the car.

Doubt it - but without a time machine, we can't really settle this one.

>> Heh. Yeah. As if somebody who can afford a $100k Audi needs the money...
>
> He needs it to replace his car that you have just smashed - I'd say
> *you* need that $100k more than he does seeing as you owe him $100k now!

I'm not disputing the logic of your claim. I'm just saying it seems
rather unjust that I have to financially cripple myself to pay to fix
somebody's property when they can easily afford many times over what I
can afford - especially given that I haven't actually damaged it yet!
(And, in fact, I never did in the end...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/