POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Nov 2009 06:16:57
Message: <4afbeea9@news.povray.org>
> Obviously you don't actually have a mortgage at the moment

Well, yeah, it would be kind of silly to own a morgage when I don't own
a house to go with it. ;-)

> I thought you said you lived near Milton Keynes?

I do.

> I searched on rightmove.co.uk for *detached* houses within 20 miles of
> MK, priced between 100 and 150 thousand pounds.  There were 178
> results.

Now that's interesting.

I visited the bank a while back (i.e., before the entire financial
sector went into meltdown), and the guy there seemed to think that I
could maybe afford a £90,000 morgage. Assuming I don't eat or use any
heating. (In other words, on paper it would work, but it would be
absurdly tight.) Since then I've looked around, and it seems that for
slightly over £100,000 you can buy stuff, but for £90,000 there is
basically nothing. You do occasionally see maybe one property at that
price, but... Well, given that this is already breaking the bank, it's
probably not a sensible idea.

> Next I went to nationwide.co.uk to their "quick quote" page on
> mortgages. It seems they want a 20k deposit, followed by 20 years of
> paying about 700 a month.

...so 70% of my income then?

> Now I don't know about you, but saving up a 20K deposit, especially
> while living with your mum, shouldn't be too hard over a few years
> (that's what, 300-400 a month).

Well, currently my bank balance is going down rather than up, because
most months I spent a few hundred more than I actually earn. Saving up
sounds pretty hard to me.

But then, maybe I'm just soft? Perhaps if I quit my dance classes, stop
seeing my therapist, don't use my phone any more, stop driving to work,
stop buying food and stop paying 20% of my income in rent, I'd have more
money?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/