POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color conversion : Re: Color conversion Server Time
2 May 2024 19:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color conversion
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2009 05:31:56
Message: <4afbe41c$1@news.povray.org>
> The CIE has defined D50 as reference white for the device independent xyz
> color space and e.g. every spectrophotometer including my own one is
> calibrated to D50 for exactly this reason.

Sure, but your meter does not use the reference white to calculate xyY
values, these are calculated directly from the measured spectral response
using only the colour matching functions - a "reference white" does not
appear in these calculations at all!

(Your meter *will* use the reference white of D50 to calculate things like
dominant wavelength, L*a*b* colour, saturation, etc).

> There is a strong need to take the reference white and the whitepoint of
> any device dependent target color system (and e.g. RGB or CMY or YCC are
> always device dependent) into account.

Of course, but showing an exactly specified colour (like XYZ, xyY, Yuv etc)
on an sRGB monitor is a simple process.  You can see the calculation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB#Specification_of_the_transformation

It is completely incorrect to do any chromatic adaption before plugging the
XYZ values into the calculation.

FWIW, if you do attempt a chromatic adaption, eg from D50 to D65, what you
are in affect doing is saying "ok these colours come from a reflective
object lit with D50, now tell me how they will appear if I had instead lit
it with D65".  I don't understand why you would want to do that if you
simply want to show a particular xyY colour on a monitor.

> You can only ignore refrence white for e.g. converting from CIE xyz to CIE
> L*a*b 'cause L*a*b is also a device independent color space.

Err no, CIE L*a*b* colour space *needs* a reference white.  xyY (or XYZ, Yuv
etc) does not.

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space

"Lab values do not define absolute colors unless the white point is also
specified."