POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2009 18:28:30
Message: <4afb489e$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga schrieb:

> "World Community Grid is designed as a resource for research done with a
> philanthropic or humanitarian purpose and will only be available to
> projects conducted for public and not-for-profit purposes. It will serve
> as a useful tool for the completion of a certain stage of research,
> hastening the progress of projects into further phases of development.
> Results must be made available to the global research community by the
> sponsoring research organization and remain in the public domain.

Now *that* is what I call a clear and plain statement. Thanks, I did not
manage to spot that when I skimmed over the pages recently, and back
then didn't feel like it would be worth spending the time.

As I have recently developed a habit of keeping my computer on and
connected to the internet virtually all the time, and not running
renders on my QuadCore /all/ of the time, it might well be worth giving
the cores something to do while I'm just hacking up code, reading
newsgroups, or the like. But it's not like I've been in desperate search
for a way to keep my computer busy or contribute more to humanity: It
was just a spontaneous research inspired by your earlier posting,
somewhere between hacking in a shell script and waiting for it to spew
out results.

With that information you now provided, obviously my initial assessment
is proven wrong, so I'll definitely have a more in-depth look at it.

You know, I'm rather sceptic when people are all the rage about
something they're convinced of. I've had my fair share of that myself to
  know how one can be grossly mistaken with it.

If you insist on calling that paranoia, then fine, have your way. But
note that answering questions better promotes the project than calling
someone paranoid just because they doubtfully raise those questions.