POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2009 16:21:28
Message: <4afb2ad8@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:

>> Remember the Y2K bug? The one that was supposed to make planes fall
>> from the skies and nuclear reactors go into meltdown?

>> Nah, it wasn't so bad. ;-)
>
> Everybody says this, but I have to wonder how bad it might have been if
> not for the hype and terror and everyone fixing everything because of
> that. I'd have felt the same way if I didn't see everyone in the FAA
> jumping up and down and cheering when 12:00 passed without anyone crashing.

I had been in the business of Y2K auditing for a short time; from what
I've seen, it was pretty much hype after all.

Yes, there might have been some bad surprises here and there, and
possibly even a few isolated cases of /real/ shit happening, if the
issue hadn't been raised at all. But the level to which it was
ultimately raised was way out of proportion.