POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2009 15:45:27
Message: <4afb2267@news.povray.org>
>> The backup scan ran as an AT job.
>
> I'm assuming you mean it ran at the server to pull files, rather than at
> the client to push files. Might be better to switch that around.

Yeah, that would mean that all the directory scanning would be local
rather than remote. Probably a lot faster that way.

>> Every now and then, there would be a network glitch or somebody would
>> turn off the PC or something, and the script would hang with the
>> network drive still mapped.
>
> Why are you mapping a drive to a letter at all?

Because that's the only way to specify the logon credentials for the
remote system. (Obviously, the server's local system account doesn't
have permission to access files on a remote system.)

>> mapped under the system account which runs AT jobs,
>
> Why? Tell AT to run it as a different user.

There are other AT jobs running, of course...

>> And don't even get me started on how absurdly difficult it is to write
>> DOS scripts that handle failure properly...
>
> That's what robocopy is for.

Not sure how you figure that out, but hey.

Robocopy can't copy a file, it says "I can't copy this file" and exits.
Now the script has to do something about this.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/