POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 11 Nov 2009 13:49:17
Message: <4afb072d@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Invisible wrote:
>> Remember the Y2K bug? The one that was supposed to make planes fall from
>> the skies and nuclear reactors go into meltdown?

>> Nah, it wasn't so bad. ;-)
>
> It wasn't so bad *because software was fixed*.
>
> Nobody knows what could have happened if people had ignored the problem.

Well, our F/EMS emergency dispatching system for months afterward (until the
company that supplied it fixed it) had its statistics for 1999/2000
completely screwed up. It'd give negative values for ambulance kilometers
traveled, for example... and no, you couldn't just flip the sign to get the
right answer.

I guess if it hadn't been for all the Y2k hype beforehand, other stuff might
have gone awry as well.
--
Stefan Viljoen