POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2009 11:46:40
Message: <4afaea70@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> In fairness, when was the last time you tried copying a file that
>>> somebody else was still using? Not so easy, is it?
>>
>> Uh, yeah, it is, actually. Want my scripts to do it?
>
> Heh. I too have written scripts to do backup. It seems like all you have
> to do is copy a bunch of files, but it's never quite that simple in
> reality. You have to deal with files that are locked, files getting
> moved around or deleted while you're trying to copy them, file security,
> alternate data streams, not upsetting programs working on those files
> just because you want to back them up, and so on.

Correct. And it's not that hard. Want my scripts to do it?

> If you want to be able
> to do stuff like back up or restore an individual Exchange mailbox, good
> luck doing that with scripting.

Well, it would be file-level backups. I don't know how Exchange stores its
mailboxes.

 > If you want to back up over a network,
> now you have connection issues, authentication issues, people turning
> the target PC off while you're accessing it...

Yep. Scripts take care of that.  Now, of course, if they turn off the PC
halfway thru and don't turn it back on for hours, you have the choice of
bailing on the backup or waiting for hours, but there isn't much one can do
about that.

The tools are there to do this. They're not that hard to understand.

Of course, if you're still 8 years back in your OS technology, it's likely
harder than it is on a modern OS.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)