POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2009 05:23:00
Message: <4afa9084$1@news.povray.org>
>>> - traffic lights
>>
>> These are not microprocessor-controlled. (This is part of the reason
>> why it is impossible to "hack into" the traffic light system and turn
>> all the lights green. It's not computer-controlled to start with.)
>> More like just a collection of timers and electromechanical relays.
>
> So I guess the Siemens guy I saw with his laptop connected to the
> traffic light control box was just recharging it? ;-)

In which country was this?

The last set of traffic lights I stopped at doesn't even detect whether
there's any traffic. The lights just change every 45 seconds. Even at
2AM when there are no cars, every 45 seconds the lights change. What do
you need a computer for?

>> I doubt the baker on the village highstreet is going to let people
>> starve to death over a little computer glitch.
>
> Yeh, I guess he can walk around and find a flour mill nearby to supply
> him, and power up his ovens with a wood fire.  Shouldn't take too long.

The baker himself shouldn't have any problem. The problems occur further
up the supply chain.

I guess it depends on whether you're talking about *computers* not
working, or "anything that requires electricity". The latter would be a
much bigger issue. If transport is still possible, even without
computers, companies will find a way. Face it: there's money to be made.
Companies just *love* that crap. ;-)