POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: somebody
Date: 11 Nov 2009 05:21:17
Message: <4afa901d$1@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen" <pov### [at] polardcom> wrote in message
> scott wrote:
>
> >> Hey! That means that you'd most likely have to start hunting again.
That
> >> isn't so bad, so I guess you got a point as well! :)
> >
> > Oh come on, in the first half of the 20th century there were no
> > microprocessors, yet we managed to have shops, delivery systems, we
could
> > even build planes, cars and power stations.  Sure there will be mayhem
if
> > unexpectedly uP's suddenly disappeared, but it's not like we'd have to
go
> > back to hunting.

> Just a joke man. Relax.
>
> Of course what you say is true, but all those societal elements were
evolved
> TO. If today's tech was to disappear tomorrow, we'd suddenly have a
> regression to a level far below what we had in the early 20th. Until we
can
> re-establish the "outmoded" technologies and technological base (like
steam
> power) that were cutting edge in say, 1920.

Can you imagine all the sudden productivity increase we would experience? No
cell phones, no youtube, no computer games, no pov-ray, no newsgroups! With
that kind of manpower available, we'd take no time reviving those dormant
technologies. Also, don't forget that much of that is still alive in the
third world to varying degrees.