POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:59:35
Message: <4afa8b07$1@news.povray.org>
>> For the average home user, if your house burns down, you're not going
>> to give a **** about the holiday photos and the copy of Nero you just
>> lost - YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO LIVE!!
>
> Not true. Well, Nero, maybe, but holiday photos and pictures of people
> who are now dead and such are irreplacable. You can always get somewhere
> new to live, or fix the house.

I don't know about you, but if my house burnt down, this would be a
catastrophy. I would be homeless, and financially destitute. The bank
isn't going to let you stop paying the morgage just because your house
burned to the ground. And with no house to sell, it is impossible to buy
a replacement. I'd basically be homeless for the rest of my life. I
wouldn't be able to *afford* a computer! Why would I care about some
holiday photos when I'm going to be spending the rest of my life on the
streets?

(And then there's the "minor detail" that your backup copies will be in
your house, and thus destroyed in the process...)

>> This is a very, very dumb way to do backup. A file-level copy will be
>> drastically faster. (It doesn't involve mirroring all the useless
>> empty sectors.)
>
> Depends how your RAID works. Windows doesn't mirror empty sectors
> because the RAID understands the file system. Linux and hardware mirrors
> empty sectors because you can put any file system on top of the RAID.

Well, as I say, it depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're trying to avoid downtime due to hardware faults, RAID is the
right tool. If you just want to avoid losing a few specific precious
files, a file-level copy seems more appropriate.