POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:52:21
Message: <4afa8955$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> I disagree. My folks often say this too - just cut out the computers and
> we'll just be less comfortable. But take down -especially- the
> microprocessor and you likely loose
>
> - traffic lights

These are not microprocessor-controlled. (This is part of the reason why
it is impossible to "hack into" the traffic light system and turn all
the lights green. It's not computer-controlled to start with.) More like
just a collection of timers and electromechanical relays.

> - mains electricity (I shiver to think about a nuclear plant suddenly losing
> all computerized instrumentation and monitoring systems)

I'm fairly sure a nuclear plant would just automatically shut down. I'm
pretty sure somebody will have thought of this.

> - water supply

This involves computers somehow?

> - comms of every kind (internet, wired telephone, terrestrial digital radio,
> cellphones, fax, the works)

Apparently valves are relatively unaffected by an EMP. There are
probably plenty of ham radio ops out there who could still keep working.

> - modern medical support (all those EKGs, MRI machines, heart-lung monitors)

Yeah, most of these would be ****ed.

I don't know about EMP shielding, but these kinds of devices tend to be
subjected to some pretty insane levels of safety testing. (Remember, I
work in an industry indirectly related to medical devices.) And of
course, doctors know how to do their work without machines. Obviously
they can't work as well as they would, but they can still do something.

> - food (unless you kill the supermarket guy 'cause he won't release ANY food
> to you - his computerized stock management system is offline, so he doesn't
> know what he is selling, how much to order in, etc.)

I doubt the baker on the village highstreet is going to let people
starve to death over a little computer glitch. He only uses an antique
mechanical cash register anyway. (This is not hypothetical. I'm talking
about an actual baker I know of within walking distance.)

> - access to your money

That could be fun. :-D

> We actually gamed this out once when I was still in the emergency services
> here (we had too - our national grid was at the point of collapse) and it
> was quickly realized that society will regress so quickly it will be
> catastrophic.
>
> Granted, that was for a loss of all mains electricity, possibly for weeks,
> but I think some elements of that apply to major failures in technology,
> especially computer technology.

Remember the Y2K bug? The one that was supposed to make planes fall from
the skies and nuclear reactors go into meltdown?

Nah, it wasn't so bad. ;-)

> Hey! That means that you'd most likely have to start hunting again. That
> isn't so bad, so I guess you got a point as well! :)

I'm wondering... All those absurdly fat people? Would they even *need*
to eat?