POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:42:00
Message: <4afa86e8$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga schrieb:

>>>  You can download it at WCG (www.worldcommunitygrid.org) or at
>>> Berkeley University (boinc.berkeley.edu).
>>
>> What I have trouble with is the question, "who benefits?" - I don't
>> see this explicitly answered at a prominent place, which to me raises
>> the question why that is so.
>>
>> Who qualifies to use the WCG? Who decides who qualifies? Are the
>> scientific results published without a fee, or will I have to pay to
>> see the research results my computer has helped generating?
>
> You have trouble with everything I write, you always try to polemicize
> everything I post.

Um... could it be that /you/ are having a problem here?

All I did was point out that I, personally, have unanswered questions
regarding this thing that I'm uneasy about, which I raised here in hopes
that you - as a person who seems so enthusiastic about the project that
I had expected you to be well-informed - might be able to answer them,
or give me some useful pointers.

 > If you're so interested in this why don't you do what
> some have done here and go to the site and find out.

If you're so upset about me raising this question, then why don't you
just tell what you know?

Normally I know this type of reaction only from people who feel their
firm beliefs endangered by the mere presence of a question.

> You can't find out? Are you a noob web surfer? Learn to dig in the sites
> a little, that's the way the WWW is for now, you have to do a little
> "homework" to get your "candy".

Do you really want to know, or do you just want to insult me?

As a matter of fact, I did browse their web pages, and found that they
did not really go out of their way to answer the question I raised,
despite my expectation that they'd pride themselves with the answer if
it would be to my liking.

Thus, I came quickly to the conclusion that it would probably be a waste
of time to research any further on my own (especially since I got the
impression that this information was deliberately not made public,
implying that (a) it would cost a lot of time to find, and (b) would
lead me to the conclusion that the time was wasted), and that I'd
instead raise the question to someone who is all enthusiastic about the
project, and might therefore possibly (a) be able to answer the question
in no time flat, and (b) be motivated to do so.

Again, I find you just as reluctant to give an answer, and I wonder why:
Is it a bad one?

This all just convinces me that it was the right decision to not invest
much time into it. Thanks for your patience.