POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:40:57
Message: <4afa86a9$1@news.povray.org>
>> In fairness, when was the last time you tried copying a file that
>> somebody else was still using? Not so easy, is it?
>
> Uh, yeah, it is, actually. Want my scripts to do it?

Heh. I too have written scripts to do backup. It seems like all you have
to do is copy a bunch of files, but it's never quite that simple in
reality. You have to deal with files that are locked, files getting
moved around or deleted while you're trying to copy them, file security,
alternate data streams, not upsetting programs working on those files
just because you want to back them up, and so on. If you want to be able
to do stuff like back up or restore an individual Exchange mailbox, good
luck doing that with scripting. If you want to back up over a network,
now you have connection issues, authentication issues, people turning
the target PC off while you're accessing it...

...this stuff is way, way harder to do right than it sounds.