POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:31:58
Message: <4afa848e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm glad it's not just me who constantly mis-spells "star". :-D
>
> It's my keyboard! The **&%$ keyboard at wrk has its keys all placed one to
> the left of my home keyboard.
>
> Oh gods, I just misspelled "work" too!

Put the shovel down. ;-)

>> Think about it: how long ago did we land
>> on the moon? And how long after that did we land on Mars? Oh, wait...
>
> ... we haven't. Yup, three years out, three years back, or something like
> that?
>
> And that's just in our solar system, never mind -real- interstellar stuff.

That's just THE NEAREST PLANET in the same star system. Never mind the
more remote ones...

>> In fact, half the stars in the night sky probably DON'T EVEN EXIST ANY
>> MORE. It's just that it's taken that long for the light to reach us.
>
> Now that's a depressing thought. Spending millions of years getting there,
> only to find that the star you were going to went nova or just collapsed in
> on itself a few hundred thousands years back.
>
> Serious case for some kind of hyperspace or space-warping technology.

And of course, almost none of the stars are where they appear to be.
They'll all have moved by now. I'm not sure how easy it is to figure out
where they moved to.

And - sometimes I don't think people get this - you reach Alpha Proxima
and radio back to Earth to say "hey, we got here, what next Houstan?"

IT WILL TAKE CENTURIES FOR THE MESSAGE TO REACH EARTH! >_<