POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2009 04:12:37
Message: <4afa8005$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga schrieb:

> Having a AIDS vaccine would be quite direct benefit IMO. Protein folding
> research is key to many important diseases including Cancer. All
> projects are different approaches to protein folding in general,
> including the 'Clean Energy Project'.

There is a problem here:

Me donating computer processing time will /not/ just miraculously cure
my neighbor of cancer.

There are middle men involved to catalyze my computing power into saving
  my neighbor's life. Who are they? What is their agenda? What
constraints are imposed to them?

If all the change this project brings to the world of pharmaceutical
business is to offload the IT costs onto naive private PC owners, then
it wouldn't do any good.

> The World Community Grid has more than 400 Partners world wide each
> helping in some special way to the WCG, you think that IBM and all these
> Partners wanna make something dumb and screw everyone over? by making
> all private when the research was public? I certainly think not.

You don't /think/ so - but are there any explicit statements about these
matters?