POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2009 03:37:44
Message: <4afa77d8$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen schrieb:

> - mains electricity (I shiver to think about a nuclear plant suddenly losing
> all computerized instrumentation and monitoring systems)

Which is why nuclear power plants (at least in safety-aware western
world) come with multiply rendundant systems, at least one of which is
independent of electronics.

For instance, a reactor might have control rods held in place by
solenoids; cut the power, and are driven into the core by gravity or
loaded springs, effectively shutting the reactor down.

> - water supply

I guess this will actually be the worst. Food is second.

You forgot heating systems. Those come third, though warm clothing and a
lot of warm blankets can help you some. Well, maybe in Africa it's not
that much of an issue...