POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: scott
Date: 11 Nov 2009 02:55:33
Message: <4afa6df5$1@news.povray.org>
> - traffic lights
> - mains electricity (I shiver to think about a nuclear plant suddenly
> losing
> all computerized instrumentation and monitoring systems)
> - water supply
> - comms of every kind (internet, wired telephone, terrestrial digital
> radio,
> cellphones, fax, the works)
> - modern medical support (all those EKGs, MRI machines, heart-lung
> monitors)
> - food (unless you kill the supermarket guy 'cause he won't release ANY
> food
> to you - his computerized stock management system is offline, so he
> doesn't
> know what he is selling, how much to order in, etc.)
> - access to your money

> Hey! That means that you'd most likely have to start hunting again. That
> isn't so bad, so I guess you got a point as well! :)

Oh come on, in the first half of the 20th century there were no
microprocessors, yet we managed to have shops, delivery systems, we could
even build planes, cars and power stations.  Sure there will be mayhem if
unexpectedly uP's suddenly disappeared, but it's not like we'd have to go
back to hunting.