POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology : Re: Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vulnerable technology
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 11 Nov 2009 01:46:49
Message: <4afa5dd8@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>> Given how dependant we are on techy stuff for daily life, it is scary how
>> vulnerable technology can be.
>
> I think we're much less dependent than you think we are. It's just much
> less *comfortable*.

I disagree. My folks often say this too - just cut out the computers and
we'll just be less comfortable. But take down -especially- the
microprocessor and you likely loose

- traffic lights
- mains electricity (I shiver to think about a nuclear plant suddenly losing
all computerized instrumentation and monitoring systems)
- water supply
- comms of every kind (internet, wired telephone, terrestrial digital radio,
cellphones, fax, the works)
- modern medical support (all those EKGs, MRI machines, heart-lung monitors)
- food (unless you kill the supermarket guy 'cause he won't release ANY food
to you - his computerized stock management system is offline, so he doesn't
know what he is selling, how much to order in, etc.)
- access to your money

etc. etc.

We actually gamed this out once when I was still in the emergency services
here (we had too - our national grid was at the point of collapse) and it
was quickly realized that society will regress so quickly it will be
catastrophic.

Granted, that was for a loss of all mains electricity, possibly for weeks,
but I think some elements of that apply to major failures in technology,
especially computer technology.

Hey! That means that you'd most likely have to start hunting again. That
isn't so bad, so I guess you got a point as well! :)
--
Stefan Viljoen