POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 10 Nov 2009 20:53:07
Message: <4afa1903$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/10/09 19:43, somebody wrote:
>> What I have trouble with is the question, "who benefits?"
>
> What do you mean who benefits? All those poor drug companies who cannot make
> ends meet to invest on computer hardware benefit. Computer hardware
> manufacturers, power companies, tenure track scientists benefit. Isn't that
> enough to make you (and your computer) feel warm and fuzzy inside?

	Actually, his concerns are warranted. I think his main concern is: Will
any results be made available for free (both in terms of price and in
terms of restrictions)? If not, he doesn't wish to contribute.

	I'd volunteer for a project only if any of the following hold:

1. I benefit directly.
2. Others benefit but don't prevent yet others from benefit.

	Most tenure track professors (and the ones who already have tenure)
publish in "closed" journals - so almost everyone on this planet won't
have access to their findings unless they pay a (hefty) fee.

	If a pharmaceutical company makes a better drug using this data, but
does not allow the actual findings of this collaboration that allowed
for that drug to be made public, why should I contribute to it? It may
well become a tool to deprive people of medication.

	(I haven't actually looked at the site myself to see if these questions
are answered - and I vaguely recall you posted something like this a
while ago and it probably was addressed then).

--
Q: What do you call a half-dozen Indians with Asian flu?
A: Six sick Sikhs (sic).