POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid News : Re: World Community Grid News Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid News
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 10 Nov 2009 17:27:27
Message: <4af9e8cf$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> I tried it on a workplace laptop, once which I have to put into standby mode
> multiple times a day.  I found that a WCG session was just outright dead when I
> re-opened the laptop.  I couldn't get it to resume, I think I had to outright
> cancel the session.  Eventually I gave up. This was about 2 years ago.   Any
> ideas?

2 Years ago WCG used another client called 'United Devices' now use
BOINC, it is much better and it has more configuration possibilities
when you're installing it, you can even run in on the background as a
service. The WCG have now a forum that has a support section with many
useful threads and active moderators  and other volunteer users that
will help you within a few hours of posting. Also now we have badges,
given according to the CPU/GPU time you have donated to research, just
make sure you login with your old account info.

  You can download it at WCG (www.worldcommunitygrid.org) or at Berkeley
University (boinc.berkeley.edu).

I recommend you to give it another try, by default you'll only be
donating 60% of every CPU core (I don't know the percentage for GPUs)
you can change this later if you want, you have full control over that
and other features, I personally set it at 99% to assure responsivity,
if you have a Quad Core you can set it at 100%.

Good luck and thank you for caring and doing something about it.

Regards.