POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
9 Oct 2024 11:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: clipka
Date: 10 Nov 2009 12:18:47
Message: <4af9a077@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

>> Actually they do.  It can be safely assumed the ship is constantly
>> leaking some negligible amount of atmosphere, and if you get within
>> the envelope of that, you can hear it swooshing as it moves past!
>
> 1. Your ears would explode at such low pressure, so *you* can't hear
> anything. :-P

Not really, provided you don't forget to properly "pop" your ears during
decompression.

It's your eyes that might not like it, so you better close them...

> 2. I rather suspect that rather than vibrating, such a gas cloud would
> simply expand outwards forever. It's not at anywhere near high enough
> pressure for audio-frequency vibrations to propogate.

The vibration of the other ship's hull would probably modulate the rate
of gaseous emission and/or the speed of the molecules. So the sound
might even undergo less distance-based dampening than in a denser medium.

The impedance-based dampening, however, would be pretty strong I bet.