POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2009 11:55:46
Message: <4af99b12$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Tape operates at much lower speeds. And since the only people who use
> tape are people who want seriously reliable backup storage, it tends to
> be very well engineered. (And stupidly expensive...)

More reliable than (say) three spinning backups?

Plus, you'll *always* be able to find a machine capable of reading your HD
before it wears out. What would you do with a stack of 9-track tape backups
today?

> Harddrives do die occasionally. It's quite rare, but it does happen from
> time to time. Either you accept the resulting data loss, or you take a
> backup copy.

Right. You make two, actually.

> Myself, I don't have any backup copies because I can't think of anything
> nearly big enough to backup to...

A hard drive the size of your current hard drives is too small?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)