POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Nov 2009 10:16:57
Message: <4af983e9$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:21:30 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> ...yeah, shopping online tends to be cheaper. Quality is another
>>> matter, of course.
>>
>> Buy from reputable dealers, and quality isn't an issue.
>
> I don't mean to imply that quality is *necessarily* an issue, just that
> it *can* be more of an issue. As you say, it depends who you buy from.

Exactly.  I started using newegg because system builders I know who build
for small businesses used them.  I rarely go to a place I've never heard
of and bought something.  Oddly, the svideo cable I mentioned before I
did go to a relatively unknown company - but I didn't drop more than
about 10 bucks on the cable, either, and when I do something like this, I
usually start with something cheap.  I did this with a place that sold
through Amazon - bought a $3 iPod battery replacement kit - that worked,
so ordered a laptop battery from them for my stepson's laptop.  Both have
worked well. :-)

> I often buy from Maplin because 1) I don't have to wait for it to be
> delivered, 2) their staff actually have a frickin clue, and 3) they
> don't argue about returns.

Sometimes expediency is worth the extra cost - as is the ability to get
something replaced without a hassle.

Jim