POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color conversion : Re: Color conversion Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:37:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color conversion
From: Ive
Date: 10 Nov 2009 10:11:06
Message: <4af9828a$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
>> 2.) For the xyY to sRGB color conversion you *NEED* also chromatic
>> adaption (Bradford adaption is commonly used) because xyY uses reference
>> white D50 while sRGB uses the D65 whitepoint.
>
> I think this has already been taken care of since the results of the
> function are so similar to the Lindbloom color converter whith SRGB
> output set to D65.

Taken care of by whom? Well, thats a rhetoric question 'cause obviously
you do *NOT* use chromatic adaption but again and in more detail:
chromatic adaption is *ALWAYS NEEDED* when your target color space uses
a whitepoint that differs from D50 and the source xyz is referring to
reflective colors (as Munsell) and not to emitted colors (as spectral
data). You'll see the difference also within Bruce' calculater (when
used right).

>> 3.) No gamma correction for the rgb values! Just set assumed_gamma to
>> 1.0 for POV version prior 3.7.
>
> I'm not so concerned with whether the colors in the output image are a
> 100% match since I'm also applying lighting and radiosity and so on.

Especially when you are applying "lighting and radiosity and so on"
you'll have to work within a linear color space (call it scRGB), this
has nothing to do with a 100% match, but I'm not as patient as Christoph
regarding the explanation of gamma issues...

-Ive