POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: POV RAY 2D : Re: POV RAY 2D Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV RAY 2D
From: Captain Jack
Date: 10 Nov 2009 09:33:58
Message: <4af979d6$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote in message
> SharkD schrieb:
>> On 11/9/2009 7:59 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> Like, for instance?
>>>
>>> I guess you're talking about extruded 2D shapes, right?
>>
>> That, or treat them like patch primitives.
>
> Well, how about cylinder and box for circles, ellipses and rectangles,
> text for text, and linear prisms for polygons.
>
> Lines and polylines don't seem to make much sense in a solid 3D world.
>
> What's left?

There are plenty of shapes, but if they were 2D primitives, perhaps they
could be optimized for better performance. Especially for making an
animation. But then, that would be getting away from the core of what POV
is.

I use it for 2D work not because it's necessarily the best choice or the
fastest, but I already know the SDL really well, and I'm not familiar with
any script based plotting and graphing engines.

I did play around with using XNA to do real time animated 3D plots, but I
never did find it to be worth the trouble. Honestly, if you're going to roll
your own that way, it's just as easy to call the managed DirectX assemblies
yourself. (Yes, I can program in C++ or even x86 assembler, but sometimes
letting the computer do the work for me gives me more time to play...)