POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Nov 2009 09:18:30
Message: <4af97636$1@news.povray.org>
>> Never mind the "minor detail" of the fact that "stationary" doesn't
>> exist in outer space.
>
> Sure it does.  There does exist absolute motion that can be measured
> even if there's nothing else in the universe--rotation, for instance.

Well, maybe.

> And I personally suspect

Prove it.

>> Or the fact that things don't make that "swoshing" noise in space. In
>> fact, they don't make *any* noise!
>
> Actually they do.  It can be safely assumed the ship is constantly
> leaking some negligible amount of atmosphere, and if you get within the
> envelope of that, you can hear it swooshing as it moves past!

1. Your ears would explode at such low pressure, so *you* can't hear
anything. :-P

2. I rather suspect that rather than vibrating, such a gas cloud would
simply expand outwards forever. It's not at anywhere near high enough
pressure for audio-frequency vibrations to propogate.