POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 10 Nov 2009 08:24:38
Message: <4af96995@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Right. So an imaginary point in space. That's great. Now all we need is
> an unambiguous way to orient a cartesian grid... oh, wait...

Yarg!

> Yeah. Amazing how all sentient beings are humanoids who just happen to
> speak American English, eh?

Well, what would be the point of some thing that lives at pressures we only
know as occurring at the bottom of the terran ocean, and can only
communicate by bioluminescent flashes? (Never mind that either you, or it,
will need a pressure suit of some kind so as not to either implode, or
explode, at each other's "skin" level environmental gas or fluid pressure,
or not to either burn or freeze to death at ambient temperature...)

Doesn't make for good drama. Kissing something like that would be
impossible. If Capt. Kirk doesn't get to kiss the hot alien chick at the
end of the ad-break, what's the point?!

> I have no idea what the hell kind of energy it possesses. Look up Tachyon.

Hah! Tardyons sonny, tardyons!

> In other words, everything required to make travelling through space
> EXACTLY LIKE sailing across an uncharted ocean. :-P

See? It's the romance and storytelling, not the science.

>>> Even the teleporters have Hiesenburg Compensators on them...
>>
>> :-) the thought of uncertainty with a matter dematerialisation and
>> transportation device gives me the willies! Or could it possibly make you
>> LOOSE your willy? Along with other bits?
>
> Maybe it "gives you the willies" - as in, you end up with 12 of them,
> instead of just 1.

:) well that should maybe match up with those extraterrestrial alien
chicks. "Them aliens got weird ways on them yonder remote planets, son..."

--
Stefan Viljoen