POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Nov 2009 08:05:44
Message: <4af96528$1@news.povray.org>
>> Never mind the "minor detail" of the fact that "stationary" doesn't
>> exist in outer space.
>
> Correct - "relative dead stop". Apparently according to The Bible (the
> Enterprise Tech Manual I bought in '92) StarFleet uses the galactic center
> as navref.

Right. So an imaginary point in space. That's great. Now all we need is
an unambiguous way to orient a cartesian grid... oh, wait...

> Its part of what I love about old TNG episodes,
> the "thrummmm" sound of the Enterprise is orbits

yet-another-planet-with-human-looking-aliens-and-hot-alien-chicks-only-distinction-is-a-new-head-piece.

Yeah. Amazing how all sentient beings are humanoids who just happen to
speak American English, eh?

>> Well, the fastest starships reputedly reach Warp 10 (i.e., 10c). Never
>> mind the "minor detail" that this would cause the ship to travel
>> backwards in time, and have an imaginary mass. (Irony?)
>
> ... and need infinite energy to move an infinite mass that occupies all
> points in the universe simultaneously. Sounds painful.

No, an object at speed c has infinite mass. An object at 10c has a
finite, but imaginary mass.

I have no idea what the hell kind of energy it possesses. Look up Tachyon.

>> Perhaps you're forgetting the Inertial Dampers?
>
> No, I intentionally -ignored- them! :)
>
> As I ignored the SIF (structural integrity field) and the artificial gravity
> generators, the navigational deflector, subspace radio, etc. etc. and all
> the other fanciful things you apparently "need" for supralight space travel
> and five year space missions. (And discovering hot alien chicks on remote
> planets.)

In other words, everything required to make travelling through space
EXACTLY LIKE sailing across an uncharted ocean. :-P

>> Even the teleporters have Hiesenburg Compensators on them...
>
> :-) the thought of uncertainty with a matter dematerialisation and
> transportation device gives me the willies! Or could it possibly make you
> LOOSE your willy? Along with other bits?

Maybe it "gives you the willies" - as in, you end up with 12 of them,
instead of just 1.