POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 10 Nov 2009 06:48:33
Message: <4af95310@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> According to Wikipedia, the nuke generates gamma rays, these shred the
> Earth's atmosphere and produce current, and the Earth's magnetic field
> directs this current towards the ground. (Depending on where in the
> world you are. Apparently the USA has a field alignment which makes it a
> particularly suitable target to hit.)

Could be I suppose. Wouldn't that imply that if your PC is fried by a nuke
due to EMP, you wouldn't be far behind (since if gamma rays cause EMP, your
DNA'd be shredded too by them... right along with your electronics based
friend.)

Vs. where if it was the intense burst of -radio- waves that caused EMP, you
might have a chance to biologically survive (at least in the moment) when
your PC is fried by EMP from a nuke.

> All of which makes it sound like if you did this in space, you'd just
> get gamma rays...

Might be. Though I wonder if EMP is caused by interaction between oxygen /
nitrogen being bombarded with high-intensity gamma rays? Because that seems
to be what Wik implies here. Intense radio waves seems to me to make more
sense.
--
Stefan Viljoen