POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Nov 2009 06:40:30
Message: <4af9512e$1@news.povray.org>
>> Interesting thing: According to Wikipedia [which is never wrong], a
>> nuclear explosion only generates an EMP because of the Earth's magnetic
>> field. Like, if it was in space, it wouldn't do that...
>
> Huh? That doesn't sound right. An old strategic option the USSR apparently
> had was to detonate a -real- big (50 megaton) thermonuke over the US, but
> out in space / low orbit. The idea was to melt all radios and computers,
> the entire US telephone network, etc. As far as I know EMP damage is caused
> by the massive radio waves generated by a nuclear explosion (besides all
> the "hard" gamma radiation, and other nasty stuff besides heat and light).
> These induce current in conductors (i. e. they fry microchips).
>
> Radio definitely travels in a vacuum where there is no magnetism - IMO,
> magnetism CAN effect radio but just to distort or interfere with it. So I'd
> think that a magnetic field will -moderate- or interfere an EMP pulse a
> bit, not be the part-cause of it?

According to Wikipedia, the nuke generates gamma rays, these shred the
Earth's atmosphere and produce current, and the Earth's magnetic field
directs this current towards the ground. (Depending on where in the
world you are. Apparently the USA has a field alignment which makes it a
particularly suitable target to hit.)

All of which makes it sound like if you did this in space, you'd just
get gamma rays...