POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Nov 2009 05:17:17
Message: <4af93dad@news.povray.org>
>> I don't know, man... Backing up spinning disk to... spinning disk? Is
>> that such a sensible idea?
>
> Why not? It's a backup. It's not like you can read a tape without
> spinning it. What are you going to back it up to, FLASH RAM?

Tape operates at much lower speeds. And since the only people who use
tape are people who want seriously reliable backup storage, it tends to
be very well engineered. (And stupidly expensive...)

>> (Then again, I don't have any hard data on the reliability of HD
>> verses tape verses CD. I've heard that spinning HD up and down wears
>> it out faster than keeping it spinning, but I don't know if that's
>> true...)
>
> And by the time you actually have to worry about that, those drives will
> be your temp drives and you'll be buying 15TB SSDs for the next computer.

Heh. Dream on. ;-)

Harddrives do die occasionally. It's quite rare, but it does happen from
time to time. Either you accept the resulting data loss, or you take a
backup copy.

Myself, I don't have any backup copies because I can't think of anything
nearly big enough to backup to...