POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 10 Nov 2009 01:59:26
Message: <4af90f4d@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>> *brrr* - I shiver at the thought of a mobile HDD as a backup device...
>
> Why? If you have two copies, then crashing one doesn't affect the other.

If you use a single one? Then again, single IS NOT a backup...!

>> How do you feel about the statement that the fact that if a drive is
>> mobile, inherently it will never last as long as a "traditional"
>> statically mounted drive that just sites in a cradle internally in a
>> climate controlled server rack / box?
>
> Depends. Does the building with the servers in it burn down?

I meant more in the sense that you might drop a portable drive. Sure, they
are supposed to be designed specifically to survive that, but still. The
incident I'm thinking about I referred to in my other post, a simple fumble
and the portable drive lands on a concrete floor...

> How long do you need it to last?

Tee hee! I'm a typical user - it must last forever and never, ever crash,
and it must cost nothing. No heck, I want the company who made it to pay me
to use it...!

--
Stefan Viljoen