POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 10 Nov 2009 01:48:17
Message: <4af90cb0@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen schrieb:
>>
>> In the olden days on the Apple ][ with CP/M I had three - the
>> grandfather, father and son (and holy ghost! :) - I still remember the
>> stomach churning dread of those horribly loud floppy drives grinding and
>> grinding and then "BDOS ERROR" on the monochrome green-screen... Those
>> were the days!
>
> That reminds me of those Iomega "jaz" drives that were all the rage 10
> years ago. We had two or three "pools" (12 computers each) equipped with
> those where I was studying back then, which were intended for the
> Multimedia students to store their many hundreds of Megs on.
>
> They seemed pretty fancy stuff - until it turned out that they could
> contract a contagious disease, some hardware defect that would cause
> them to screw up the storage media in just the right way to ruin the
> next drive they'd be put into in just the same way...

Sounds a LOT like the "son of Jaz" QIC-like tape drive I once had. I think
it was called an Iomega Ditto Dash or something. Great storage per tape...
IF it worked. I think I wrote five tapes successfully with that before it
quit. Was the greatest waste of money on technology I ever had the
misfortune to spend.

--
Stefan Viljoen