POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 10 Nov 2009 01:44:57
Message: <4af90be8@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen schrieb:
>
>> *brrr* - I shiver at the thought of a mobile HDD as a backup device...
>>
>> How do you feel about the statement that the fact that if a drive is
>> mobile, inherently it will never last as long as a "traditional"
>> statically mounted drive that just sites in a cradle internally in a
>> climate controlled server rack / box?
>
> Sure, a server rack in a proper server room is probably the safest place
> for a HDD to live in.
>
> But I don't think a good external case is any more dangerous to HDD
> health than your average office ATX tower, that gets its thermal shocks
> day by day when switched on, and some accidental (or sometimes
> deliberate) kicks by its user now and then.

I mentioned this because a fellow company we once did business with lost a
year's worth of designs and stuff when the MD (!) dropped their external
HDD accidentally onto a concrete floor... and then the primary HDD the data
had been on quit on the same day.

"Backup" = "two or more physically separate places, preferably on a
different type of media entirely" :)
--
Stefan Viljoen