POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Locking references : Re: Locking references Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locking references
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2009 23:13:11
Message: <4af8e857$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So the original claim was not about numbering locks (whatever that might
> mean), but numbering shared resources so that one process can only reserve
> more than one resource at a time in the order dictated by those numbers?

Right. I think probably the term "lock" there meant an individual mutex, or
whatever structure you're using to keep track of who has which resource.
I.e., "lock" meant a resource, not a reservation.

>   I suppose that would work, at least assuming that a process never releasing
> a resource is not included in the definition of "deadlock".

As long as the process holding the lock on the resource is not prevented
from making progress, it's technically not a deadlock. That's why there are
usually "fairness" criteria in such systems as well, where "fairness" means
that no process that's ready to run gets delayed indefinitely.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)