POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2009 12:58:44
Message: <4af85854$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> Wings 3D insists that real geometry needs volume.
>
> I have no problem with that. But it shouldn't let me delete an edge or
> vertex that would cause the geometry to not have volume.

Actually Wings 3D's model is not /fully/ volume-aware, because volume is
really difficult mathematically to handle; instead, it "only" insists on
objects being topologically "closed" surfaces.

And yes, Wings 3D /does/ enforce this. There is no way whatsoever to get
it into an inconsistent state from /this/ perspective.

The display engine might not be able to cope though with all possible
configurations that are valid with regards to this model, which is
what's causing you problems.

The most common "visual inconsistencies" in Wings 3D, from my
experience, are polygons folded over one another, and edges of virtually
zero length.

The latter can easily be eradicated by selecting all short edges and
collapsing them to points (use a very small value, and visually verify
afterwards that the points created this way are all where you'd expect some.

As for the former, look out for edges that, when highlighted, seem to
"span" multiple vertices. They're a bit of a hassle though.