POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2009 11:57:53
Message: <4af84a11$1@news.povray.org>
>> A 1.5 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drive costs a mere $95 from newegg.

Hopefully that's TB. :-)

> I don't know, man... Backing up spinning disk to... spinning disk? Is
> that such a sensible idea?

Why not? It's a backup. It's not like you can read a tape without spinning
it. What are you going to back it up to, FLASH RAM?

> (Then again, I don't have any hard data on the reliability of HD verses
> tape verses CD. I've heard that spinning HD up and down wears it out
> faster than keeping it spinning, but I don't know if that's true...)

And by the time you actually have to worry about that, those drives will be
your temp drives and you'll be buying 15TB SSDs for the next computer.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)