POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2009 11:51:35
Message: <4af84897$1@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:
> Wings is going to merge the faces that used to be separated by edges
> into a single face,

Personally, I'd classify behavior in a modeler that let you corrupt its
internal structures as a "bug". :-) I mean, really, doesn't an edge need a
point at either end? How do you end a face without edges all the way around?

> really intuitive (I love its interface better than any other modeler) but
> this one thing takes a lot of getting used to.

Yes, this is cool.  After having done some modeling with Blender and H:AM,
Wings makes much more sense than it did when I tried it as my first modeler.

> What I find I have to do is visualize what I want the geometry to have
> looked like, then select the right vertices (usually rotating the model so I
> can see the parts I want) and connecting them to make new edges.

If you can fix it, it's not that bad. I just usually have no idea what I
just did wrong. :-)0

> I used Blender for about a year and never got the hang of it,

I managed to get a few things working OK. The more sophisticated stuff is
too buggy for me to want to use, and it's all mostly undocumented, which is
what drives me nuts. Wings has the benefit of coming with a manual telling
you how the thing works and what each option is.

I do enough G**D*** exploratory screwing around with the software at work. I
don't want to spend 20 minutes on google learning how to find the button
that adds a vertex to an edge when what I really want to be doing is putting
a window in a wall.

Actually, I think the real problem with all the modelers is they all want
you to do operations that fit well with their internal data structures, and
they all treat solids as connected surfaces. So, for example, you can't take
a cube and drill a hole through it. You have to first add vertexes to edges,
connect them, then delete the faces in the middle, and etc.  There's CSG,
but that's still not quite the same thing, methinks. It's not like clay
where you can say "here's a block. Here's a cylinder. Stick the end of the
cylinder to the block."  Wings comes about closest with things like Intrude
and "Lift" and such, where it adds the extra faces it needs.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)