POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: POV RAY 2D : Re: POV RAY 2D Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV RAY 2D
From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2009 10:04:33
Message: <4af82f81@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack schrieb:

>> I'd like to ask, if it is possible to be using the POVRAY also for
>> rendering 2D
>> pictures, such like 2D charts and color maps. Could you give me some
>> recommendation, if the POVRAY is useful for such the purpose o if there
>> exists
>> an alternative program for 2D which you know..
>
> I use it as a quick way to do function plots all the time. I set up an
> orthographic camera on the Z axis pointing at the origin, make a couple of
> thin cylinders for the X and Y axes, then I loop through some X values to do
> the plot. For each point, I draw a sphere at the point, and a cylinder back
> to the previous point to give a more or less smooth curve.

For more smoothness, you can also use sphere_sweep to plot.

> There might be better software for this purpose, but POV is just so darn
> flexible and solid that it's too much trouble to pick up other software.

... plus, it is definitely capable of creating animated charts and stuff.

And, as the icing on the cake, there's probably not much software out
there that can add as much a variety of 3D effects to a chart, graph or
whatever to liven it up :-)

@Dudo: Yes, the "orthographic" camera is probably what you want.