POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: Captain Jack
Date: 9 Nov 2009 09:59:59
Message: <4af82e6f$1@news.povray.org>
news:4af78e04@news.povray.org...
> nemesis wrote:
>> I'm mean, it's probably more productive to complain about the new
>> interface than the old legacy one. ;)
>
> Heh, yes. I'm trying to get used to Wings, which seems a lot easier until
> you screw up the geometry, and then you're pretty much hosed as far as I
> can tell. What do you do when you have a face where points are connected
> when viewed from the top of the face and not when viewed from the bottom?
> I don't even know how I manage such a thing. :-)
>
> --
>   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>   I ordered stamps from Zazzle that read "Place Stamp Here".

The tricky thing about Wings is that it can't have orphaned edges or
vertices, and it only works correctly when every edge is touching exactly
two faces. If you delete some edges, or loop cut an odd shape away, or some
such, Wings is going to merge the faces that used to be separated by edges
into a single face, often leaving it severely non-planar. However, it's
still going to ask the OpenGL engine to draw the face, and it will look
really odd from different angles. Most of what happens in Wings I find to be
really intuitive (I love its interface better than any other modeler) but
this one thing takes a lot of getting used to.

What I find I have to do is visualize what I want the geometry to have
looked like, then select the right vertices (usually rotating the model so I
can see the parts I want) and connecting them to make new edges.

I used Blender for about a year and never got the hang of it, but I was
making models in Wings inside of two weeks. I am planning to look at the 2.5
interface when it comes out for general use... I've been using C4D for about
six months and I see a lot of similarities, so I'm thinking I might be able
to pick it up again. I'd like to be able to do fluid simulations without
having to spend another wad o' case. :D

--
Jack